Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Let the Classes Begin

So yesterday began my first day of classes at Apicius Hospitality School. My first class of the semester was at 9am and was called Italian Pastry and Cakes. I could have not been more excited about this class because I knew that I got to bake for two and a half hours straight. Of course, with my luck, I missed my alarm at woke up at 8:28am and had to run to class, luckily making it there on time. Once I got there, I realized I still had to pay for a locker and for my lab fess for both of my cooking classes. That was an unfortunate event to my wallet lets just say. After I got dressed into my whole uniform and walked into class, everyone was waiting to start. There were 7 kids in my class including me and my professor. The room that we worked in was so small, it was like my bedroom. My professor has studied pastry for a while now and he also told us that he worked with Chef Gordon Ramsey from Hell's Kitchen for a year and a half. He is also from Ireland I believe. I didn't think we were going to do much since it was our first day of school but we got right into baking and the first thing we made was Pasta Frolla or Pastry Dough. Then, we took that finished product and made it into a Torta di Mandorle con base di Pasta Frolla which is Almond Cake with Pastry Dough base. We were supposed to put lemon in it but ended up not doing that. I'm not exactly sure why but only a select few of us actually like the cake. I thought it was good but the lemon would have made it taste so much better. The second cake we made out of the pastry dough was Torta di Mandorle Amare which is a Cake of Bitter Almonds. We flavored that one with orange zest but when teh cake batter was complete, it was sooo thick and the professor was laughing because he didnt' get why it didn't come out correct but for fun we stuck it in the oven to see what it would do. When time was up, we took it out of the oven and to our surprise it rose in the oven and cooked fully. We tasted it and the cake was delicous which made us all realize that you don't 'know if something is going to work until you try and if it doesn't you figure out what's wrong and try again. On the way back from class, i stopped at the Mercato Centrale again to pick up cheese and vegetables to cook. Once I got back, I was exhausted from being up so early and standing during class to walking home. I had Intermediate Italian at 6pm in a different, farther location so I had to make sure I was out of my apartment by around 5:30 the latest. So for the remainder of the day I sat in my bed, wrote my blog and talked to some friends from home. All I wanted to do the whole time was sleep but I knew if I tried, I would probably miss my class and that was just somethign that I couldn't risk. Around 5:17 I left my apartment and headed towards the Duomo where my Italian class is. I didnt' want to be late so I started to do more of a jog towards my building. I arrived there thirty minutes early and I couldn't even sit in the room because another class was going on. I love my Italian teacher. Not as much as my college professor but he's really fun. He puts on music during class to ease the tension. The first activity we did was we had to turn and face someone next to us and talk to them in Italian so he could see how much knowledge we actually had. I met a girl named Kerri who was doing her second semester here in Italy. She was really nice and told me all about the Italian class since she took beginner the semester before. For the rest of the class, we learned about the past tense and I left already knowing such more more than I came into the class with. Don't you just love that feeling? On the way back to my apartment after class, I knew that my roommate and I love the tiramisu from a place right by our apartment so I decided to pick up a piece for us to split for dessert, she looved that I had it when I got back. Since a couple of days ago, I bought a kilo of sausage (which i did not know was two and a half pounds at the time), I knew I had to cook it. So me and my friend cooked two sausages, ground it up, and put it into a tomato sauce that we seasoned and then made heart-shaped pasta and poured it over. It was surprisingly delicious!!! I loved the flavor of that sausage, even though I had it the last two nights. After that was done, we sat around and just talked for a while and then we decided to have that tiramisu because it was just calling our names. Knowing that all the pastries are baked fresh daily just makes the eating part of the dessert that much better. Everytime we have tiramisu, we split it down the middle but I think we're both starting to realize that we both want our own pieces next time. For the remainder of the night, I talked to a bunch of people on Skype and wrote a lot of emails to my friends who I miss dearly and then got ready to go to bed until my friend Skyped me but unfortunately the time difference stopped me from talking. That's one thing about Florence that is terrible on my part, is that I can't talk to a lot of people because the time difference prevents that from happening. But even with that negative aspect, I am still in love with Firenze. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment