Wednesday, March 3, 2010

If You Ask Me Where I Am....I Could Not Even Tell You

So yesterday was once again, my single most boring class ever, Restaurant Management, however, the bright side was that it was sixty five degrees outside! It was what I call "T-shirt weather" So I left the class, took off my jacket and headed over to Ganzo with my new friend Kevin who's from Portland and Brittany for lunch. The conversation was so interesting, because Kevin is one of those kids that has done so much in his life and as many aspirations in the future. He was talking about how he wants to go to Africa eventually and travel all over the world. Listening to him speak just makes me want to do the same thing eventually. I think I've come to the decision that once I graduate I would love to do some sort of Habitat for Humanity or backpack all over the world. After enjoying our 2 hour lunch conversation, we separated and went back to our apartment. My roommate decided to go out shopping while I went back. But once I returned back, I was sitting in my bed and kept saying to myself that it's such a beautiful day outside, there is NO way I'm spending it in my bed in the air conditioning. So I grabbed my small purse, put on shoes, keys, and phone and left. Where was I going? I wasn't sure. There was a fort that I wanted to visit that was built by the Medici Family back long ago. I knew the general way to get there so I just went across the river and started walking. I ended up on this street that was a huge hill, and with my boots on, I was not pleased but refused to turn around. So I kept going and eventually found the fort and then realized that it was closed! I should have read my guidebook because I reread it today and it says that you can't go fully in until the summer. But I did manage to get a picture before I continued on with my journey as well as some pictures of random stuff on the way there:



The first picture is part of that fort that I was looking for and then the second is the monstrosity of a hill I walked with a picture of the Arno during that beautiful day with the water running faster than ever.


After I realized that it was closed, I decided to just follow the road that went to the other way from the Fort. I took this private road with a couple of nice houses, maybe 4 cars passed me on the two miles that I walked and rarely people. Then there were doors with holes in them looking out into beautiful greenery. It was like looking out into another part of Florence that I didn't know existed. The views all around me were spectacular, I almost didn't know what to do with myself. With the sun shining and the clouds clear, everything I saw looked unrealistic. Take a look:









After walking on this long path, I ended up on the complete outskirts of Florence. I honestly had NO clue where I was.....I walked where there was absolutely no city. No bicycles, only cars, and some random people walking. But I looked ot my left and I see the city of Florence, and let me tell you, I was NOT close to it at all. It was so quiet where I was. No students around, no tourists, no music being played, buses, ambulances. Nothing but cars and some people walking on the outskirts of this greenery. So I decided to start walking around hoping for it to take me somwhere that I found familiar. Thankfully after another 30 minutes of walking or so, I found out that I reached the Piazza di Michiangiolo (yes....again). But the way I got there was not only the longest route I think is possible, but the single most beautiful one as well. I got to take amazing pictures of Florence and even some more pictures off of the Piazza once again while it was actually sunny out. Well, before my camera died, that is.









I walked six miles, got lost, sweaty, and gross, BUT, had the most incredible day all by myself and after seeing what can happen just exploring, I'm ready to do it again, even if I end up in a different city, I'll find my way back eventually. I'm just going to wait for this rain to disappear and then I'm on my way.

1 comment:

  1. OMG Emily i totally understand the idea about doing more with your life. After i graduate i want to come back to Europe. I am filled with so much idealism after being here. Totally get what you mean. I'm sad i'm not in Florence anymore. Let me know if you ever make it to Paris!

    ReplyDelete